8th grade science classes met in Socratic discussion sessions in December as a final product over genetics.
By the end of class, students were able to – contribute ideas, knowledge, and questions to support the discussion about genetic technologies AND interact and actively listen to supports about genetic technologies.
The Cognitive Skills focused on included –
- Contributing to evidence-based discussions
- Norms and active listening
Socratic Discussion Starter Questions
- What are different ways that genetic technology is used?
- What are benefits of using genetic technology?
- What are challenges of using genetic technology?
- What uses of genetic technology seem most promising?
- Are there any use of genetic technology that should not be allowed?
- How should society use genetic technology?